FOLLOW OHIO MEN’S BASKETBALL: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
ATHENS, Ohio – The Ohio men’s basketball team (1-3) is back in action for the 2022 Bobcat Battle to be hosted by the Bobcats Nov. 25-27 at the Convocation Center. The Bobcats take on Eastern Illinois on November 25 at 2:00 p.m. before taking on Alabama State (0-6) on November 27 at 2:00 p.m. Alabama State and Eastern Illinois will play each other in convo on Saturday, November 26 at 2:00 p.m. The Bobcats’ matchup with EIU will be featured on ESPN3, where Russ Eisenstein and Rob Cornelius will be on the phone. The Alabama State matchup will be featured on ESPN+ with Marty Bannister and Dave Cecutti in conversation.
The Bobcats’ matchups can also be heard on Learfield’s Ohio Sports Network. WXTQ (Power 105) in Athens returns as the flagship of the 11-station network.
• The Bobcat Battle is a three-team MTE hosted by Ohio at the Convocation Center. The three game event is run by RPPI.
• Ohio suffered a 70-66 overtime loss at No. 1 in Ann Arbor on Sunday night. accept Michigan.
• This is the Bobcats’ first-ever meeting with the states of Alabama and Eastern Illinois.
• EIU goes into the matchup with a record 4-1, losing to Ohio State, Central Michigan and Illinois State and beating Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College.
• Alabama State arrive in Athens with a 6-0 record, losing to Pitt, USC, San Jose State, Pepperdine and UAB.
• Alabama State suffered defeat in Duquesne on Wednesday night.
• Dwight Wilson III was a monster Sunday in Michigan, scoring 21 points, catching nine rebounds and hitting the crucial basket at the end of regular time to force overtime.
• Ohio set an impressive all-time record of 542-178 (.756) at the Convocation Center, which opened in 1968.
• Ohio finished last season 25-10, fourth most in program history with 25 wins.
• Ohio welcome nine newcomers to the roster for the season, including transfers Jaylin Hunter, DeVon Baker and Gabe Wiznitzer.
• Ohio also adds six freshmen to this year’s list.
• Ohio will bring three members of the 2021 NCAA Tournament team Ben Roderick, Miles Brown and Dwight Wilson III again in green and white.
• Dwight Wilson III returns to Ohio after missing 2021-22 with a knee injury.
• The Bobcats also return with three second division teams from last season’s roster, AJ Clayton, Olumide Adelodun and IJ Ezuma.
• Ohio goes into the season losing its top three scorers from last season.
• Overall, the Bobcats are only bringing back three players who had a lot of playing time last year while losing 10 through graduation and the transfer portal.
• Ohio spent nine days in Spain in August for its overseas tour. There, Ohio played three games against a Spanish national team made up of professional Spanish players.
• Ohio was ranked fifth in the 2022 MAC Coaches Poll.
DISCOVER EASTERN ILLINOIS
Easter Illinois goes into the duel with a 4-1 record with Ohio and picks up a win over Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College.
As a team, EIU averages 62.2 points and 37.2 rebounds per game. The Panthers shoot .354 from field, .262 from three, and .579 from the line. EIU also dished out 11.0 assists per game while forcing 20.0 turnovers and 11.6 stealing a game.
Meanwhile, opponents are averaging 64.4 points and 45.4 rebounds per contest. They shoot .395 from the field, .316 from three, and .590 from the line. Opponents are also dishing out an average of 12.8 assists per game while catching 7.0 steals and forcing 14.2 turnovers per game.
Individually, EIU is led by Kinyon Hodges, who averages 12.2 points and 5.2 rebounds per game. He also shoots .424 from the field and .538 from the line. Yaakema Rose adds 9.4 points per game and shoots .362 from the field while Cameron Haffner adds 6.3 points per game.
SCOUTING ALABAMA STATE
Michigan enters the matchup with Ohio with a 3-1 record after falling 75-57 to Duquesne on Wednesday night.
As a team, Alabama State averages 59.7 points and 36.5 rebounds per game. Alabama State shoots .329 from the field, .317 from three, and .677 from the line. Alabama State also dished out 9.8 assists per game while forcing 12.3 turnovers and forcing 4.8 steals per game.
Meanwhile, opponents are averaging 86.0 points and 43.3 rebounds per contest. They shoot .499 from the field, .417 from three, and .667 from the line. Opponents are also dishing out an average of 16.2 assists per game while catching 6.8 steals and forcing 12.8 turnovers per game.
Individually, Alabama State is led by TJ Madlock, who averages 14.0 points and 5.3 rebounds per game. He also shoots .364 from the field and .407 from three. Isaiah Range adds 10.0 points per game and shoots .857 from the line while Alex Anderson adds 8.2 points and 5.2 rebounds per game.
Ohio goes into the matchup with a 3-1 record with Michigan, which fell to 20th-ranked Michigan 70-66 in overtime last Sunday in Ann Arbor.
As a team, Ohio averages 72.5 points and 37.0 rebounds per game while their opponents average 74.5 points and 35.3 rebounds per game. The Bobcats also shoot .430 from the field, .354 from three, and .784 from the line. Ohio also adds 12.0 assists, 6.0 steals and force 12.5 turnovers per game.
Opponents are shooting .459 from the field, .343 from three and .641 from the line while dishing out 14.3 assists, 6.3 steals and 12.3 turnovers per game.
Individually, Dwight Wilson III Ohio leads a game with 13.3 points and 11.0 rebounds. He shoots .523 from the field and .875 from the line. Miles Brown adds 12.0 points per game while shooting .471 from three. DeVon Baker adds 11.5 points per game while Jaylin Hunter Averaging 11.5 points and 4.3 assists per game while shooting .429 from the field and .409 from three.
ALL TIME VS. EASTERN ILLINOIS
This is the first ever meeting between Ohio and eastern Illinois.
LAST TIME VS. State of Alabama
This is the first-ever meeting between Ohio and the state of Alabama
With 2.1 seconds remaining and Ohio two behind, the graduate student is ahead Dwight Wilson III Tie the game at 63-63 when time ran out. However, the Ohio men’s basketball team (1-3) was unable to defeat 20th-ranked Michigan (4-1) in overtime Sunday night (Nov. 20), falling 70-66 at the Crisler Center.
As a team, Ohio shot 35 percent from field, 25 percent from three, and 5 of 11 from the line, while Michigan shot 38 percent from field, 31 percent from three, and 12 from 20 from the line. Ohio passed Michigan, 49-46 and threw up 14 assists on their 12, Ohio also grabbed six steals and forced 11 turnovers while Michigan had three steals and forced eight turnovers.
Individually, Ohio was led by Wilson III with 21 points, who went from the field on 10 of 19 and grabbed nine rebounds, followed by Junior Guard Jaylin Hunter with 14 points, six rebounds and five assists. Senior Miles Brown added 11 points, nine rebounds and four assists. senior forward Ben Roderick added six points while senior guard DeVon Baker scored five points and grabbed five rebounds. Sophomore forward AJ Clayton grabbed seven rebounds.
For Michigan, Hunter Dickinson led with 24 points and 12 rebounds, followed by Jett Howard with 13 points.
PROTECT THIS HOUSE
Ohio has an impressive all-time record of 542-178 (.756) at the Convocation Center, which opened in 1968.
Last season, Ohio finished the convo 15-2.
ABOUT BOBCAT BATTLE
The Bobcat Battle is a three-team MTE that is hosed down from Ohio at the Convocation Center. The three game event is run by RPPI.
RPPI has organized over 850 sports and entertainment events in almost 40 years of business. RPPI’s history dates back to its founder, Russ Potts, who served as the first director of sports marketing in the history of collegiate athletics at the University of Maryland. A pioneer in the sports world, Russ served as athletic director at Southern Methodist University (SMU), followed by stints as vice president of the Chicago White Sox before founding Russ Potts Productions, Inc. Russ later served in the Virginia Senate for 16 years.
Currently led by President Zach Franz and VP of Business Development Adam Syprzak, RPPI specializes in organizing and promoting live sports and entertainment events. Additionally, RPPI’s focus is expanding to include consulting in the areas of sports facility management, corporate sponsorship sales, group travel and various business development roles on behalf of its clients.
ONE MONSTER NIGHT IN ANN ARBOR
Forward Dwight Wilson III was a monster against Michigan No. 20 on November 20th. At the end of the night, Wilson III had a season-high 21 points with nine rebounds while walking 10 of 19 off the field.
So far this season, DWIII leads Ohio with 13.3 points and 11.0 rebounds per game.
USE EXTRA POINTS
Three games into the season and the Bobcats are using their free throws.
On November 24, Ohio ranks 21st in the NCAA in free throw percentage, shooting .784 (40 of 51) off the line.
HUNTER FIND A RIDE
In his second game for the Bobcats, junior guard Jaylin Hunter began to find his groove in the green and white.
Hunter led Ohio against Cleveland State, scoring 17 points, catching four rebounds and dishing out seven assists in the win.
On November 24, Hunter averaged 11.5 points and 4.3 assists per game.
After the Bobcat battle, Ohio is back in action on Wednesday, November 30 when Ohio hosts UC-Clermont at 7 p.m. Convo.