The Texans remain at the top, but they have some company knocking on the door for Thanksgiving dinner.
They, the Panthers and the Bears are the current 1-2-3 teams in the 2023 NFL Draft, with Houston still in the driver’s seat for the No. 1 overall pick after Week 11.
Whether the Texans or the Panthers are at the top, it’s obvious both teams will be looking at a quarterback in April. From the looks of it, there are two projected star passers-by waiting for those picks. Ohio State’s CJ Stroud and Alabama’s Bryce Young are the headliners, and Kentucky’s Will Levis is also considered a top pick, though it’s unclear where he’ll end up.
And it’s not just quarterbacks that teams are betting on, which could be good news for the Bears, who seem to have their answer on the position with Justin Fields. Alabama advantage Will Anderson is a safe bet to finish in the top three, likely No. 3 overall. He, Clemson’s Myles Murphy, Alabama’s Jordan Battle and Oregon’s Noah Sewell are headlining a group that could make the first round defense-heavy.
MORE: NFL Draft Big Board – Top 50 players available next April
It’s Thanksgiving week, and some teams have a lot to be thankful for — while others might have to wait until April to say thank you.
Here is the current draft order:
NFL draft order 2023
Here’s the draft order for the Week 11 Sunday Night Football match between the Chiefs and the Chargers:
|4||Las Vegas robbers||3-7|
|5||Seattle Seahawks (by DEN)||3-7|
|6||Detroit Lions (by LAR)||3-7|
|7||Houston Texans (by HOU)||3-7|
|10||Philadelphia Eagles (from NE)||4-7|
|11||Green Bay packers||4-7|
|17||Chargers from Los Angeles||5-4|
|18||New York Jets||6-4|
|19||Tampa Bay Buccaneers||5-5|
|20||Denver Broncos (from SF via MIA)||5-4|
|21||New England Patriots||6-4|
|28||New York Giants||7-3|
|30||Kansas City chiefs||7-2|
— The Eagles are holding the Saints’ first-round pick as part of a pick swap with New Orleans during the 2022 NFL draft.
– The Texans are holding the Browns’ first-round pick as part of the deal with Deshaun Watson, who sent the passer to Cleveland.
– The Seahawks have the Broncos’ first-round pick in compensation for trading Russell Wilson.
– The Lions have a first-round pick of the Rams because of Matthew Stafford’s trade.
– The Broncos traded pass rusher Bradley Chubb to the Dolphins for a first-round pick before the 2022 NFL trade deadline. This pick was formerly owned by the 49ers, who traded them to Miami as part of the package to move up to Trey Lance’s draft in 2021.
– The Dolphins are left without their own first-round picks after being sanctioned by the NFL for tampering violations involving Tom Brady and Sean Payton.
MORE: Sporting News Big Board for the 2023 NFL Draft
Top prospects for the 2023 NFL Draft
It’s early days, but after a poor year for passers in the 2022 NFL Draft, there could be three first-round prospects next April.
Alabama’s Bryce Young, Ohio State’s CJ Stroud and Kentucky’s Will Levis will all be fighting for the right to be the first quarterback off the board. Analysts and scouts currently believe the fight will be between Young and Stroud while Levis is a distant third.
If a quarterback isn’t the first player off the board, then it definitely will be Crimson Tide pass rusher Will Anderson, a dynamic advantage that can disrupt play from day one in the NFL.