Former Montana cop convicted of sex crimes in Wyoming

Taylor Jeffrey Bain

Taylon Jeffrey Bain, 36, was sentenced to 14 years in prison on October 24, 2022 in Wyoming for a federal sex crime.

Image courtesy of the Montana Department of Corrections

A former Montana police officer who previously served time for raping underage girls was sentenced to prison last month for a federal sex crime in Wyoming.

Taylon Jeffery Bain, 36, of Glendive, was sentenced to 14 years in a US district court on October 24 for one count of transporting a minor in Wyoming with intent to engage in sexual activity. In 2013, he admitted to multiple child sex crimes and possession of child pornography in Dawson County, Montana District Court.

At the time of his federal indictment earlier this year, he was on probation for the Dawson County crimes and is facing further allegations of sexual assault.

Baine, who served as a Glendive police officer from October 2006 to August 2007, was arraigned in the US District Court in January this year. Federal prosecutors eventually charged him with two counts of transporting a minor with intent to engage in sexual activity and one count of committing a sex offense against a minor who was a registered sex offender. The abuse occurred in May and September 2019, according to documents from the Federal Court of Justice. He reached an agreement with prosecutors in August 2022.

People also read…

Although the agreement was kept secret, the sentencing documents state that he pled guilty to the only charge of transporting a minor with sexual intent. Along with 14 years in prison, US District Court Judge Alan B. Johnson sentenced Bain to 10 more years of supervised release.

Bain had previously pleaded guilty to four counts of unconsensual sex and one count of child sexual abuse while living in Montana, the Gazette previously reported. In 2014, a Dawson County District Court judge sentenced Bain to 32 years in Montana State Penitentiary, 24 of which were suspended.

According to court documents, Bain raped four girls, all under the age of 16, from 2004 to 2009. The abuse was investigated by the Montana Department of Justice and revealed that he had raped each victim multiple times. Investigators also found sexually explicit photos of victims on Bain’s cellphone.

The victims knew Bain through local classes and volunteer programs. At his sentencing in 2014, the Glendive Ranger Review reported, Judge Richard Simonton said Bain used his position as a police officer and volunteer to exploit victims.

Bain left prison in February 2016 after being eligible for parole, a condition of which was sex offender treatment. In July 2021, Dawson County prosecutors charged Bain with two counts of sexual assault and filed a motion to have his suspended sentence lifted, court documents said. His next hearing in Dawson County is scheduled for January 17, 2023.

The FBI, the Dawson County Sheriff’s Office, and the Wyoming Fremont County Sheriff’s Office all contributed to the investigation that led to Bain’s federal conviction.