DURHAM, NH — Sherif Gross-Bullock scored 28 points and the Bryant University men’s basketball team made every one of his last eight free throws to earn an 87-81 win over the University of New Hampshire on Saturday afternoon.
With the win, the Bulldogs have now won back-to-back league games and improved to 3-2 in America East.
Gross-Bullock finished 9-of-11 from the field and 4-of-5 from beyond the arc to speed the Black and Gold. Antwan Walker finished the tournament with 19 points and five rebounds while Charles Pride and Tyler Brelsford had 10 points each. Earl Timberlake and Miles Latimer each grabbed 10 boards and added seven points.
Bryant 87, New Hampshire 81
Records: Bryant 12-6, 3-2 AE | New Hampshire 8-9, 3-2 AE
Location: Lundholm High School (Durham, NH)
- Shortly after UNH reduced the deficit to one, Walker and Brelsford hit back-to-back baskets to bring Bryant’s lead back to five with just over three minutes of play.
How it happened
- Timberlake and Gross-Bullock got Bryant going early and together scored 12 of the team’s first 19 points. Timberlake finished three times on the edge while Gross-Bullock sank two threes.
- UNH drew inside one with a three, but Pride responded with a three at the other end to make it 22-18 with 11:43.
- The Wildcats made it 24-22, but the Bulldogs scored the next six and nine of the next 11. Gross-Bullock was a key cog, finishing twice on the bucket before throwing in a three from the wing to take it to 33-25 with 6: 06 remaining in the first.
- Walker put Bryant up to 11 at the U4 media with a pretty finish, but the Wildcats were able to respond with a three from the break.
- However, Bryant responded with a huge stake. A loose ball resulted in an eight-man scramble in midfield, and Pride was able to get away with it. He took a dribble before feeding Doug Edert for a wing three to make it 41-30.
- The Bulldogs would bring a 44-36 advantage into the dressing room.
- Walker got the Bulldogs going in the second half when he stepped out to drill a three.
- Bryant extended his lead to nine, 60-51 when Gross-Bullock ended on the edge and Walker completed a three-point play with a huge offensive board and putback.
- Gross-Bullock then brought home a three to make it a 10-point game, 63-53, with 12:04 to play.
- A three-pointer play by Edert would put Bryant back at 10 with 9:59 to go, but the Wildcats hit a 9-2 run to make it a three-pointer with 8:08 to go.
- UNH then had a chance for a three to equalize but the shot ricocheted off. Bryant grabbed the board and pushed the floor up, with Pride sinking a corner three for 73-67.
- The momentum continued as Pride fed Gross-Bullock in transition and SGB was able to finish a block.
- However, UNH scored the next seven points to make it 75-74 with 4:36 to go.
- Walker quickly responded with a soft floater in the lane and Brelsford converted a loose ball to 79-74.
- UNH would respond with a three to make it a two-point game, but Black and Gold closed it out with eight straight marks from the charity streak.
- Bryant finished 26 of 46 (56.5 percent) from the field, 8 of 17 (47.1 percent) from three and 27 of 35 (77.1 percent) from the line.
- Bryant had a 35-25 advantage in rebounds and a 36-32 point lead in the paint.
- Gross-Bullock was 9-of-11 from the field and 4-of-5 of three for 28 points. He was also 6-of-7 from the line and added three assists.
- Walker scored 19 points on 8-of-10 shooting. He added five boards.
- Pride and Brelsford each finished with 10 points. Pride added four rebounds, two assists and a steal.
- Latimer and Timberlake each finished with seven points and 10 rebounds. Latimer scored all of his seven points from the line.
- Bryant and UNH reunited for the 11thth time in program history and the first as a league opponent.
- The Bulldogs have won each of the last three meetings and lead the series 7-4.
- Pride now has 1,370 points and 680 rebounds in his career.
- Pride has now hit double digits 68 times in his career.
- Gross-Bulk ended the 16th edition in double digitsth time this year and the 38th time in his career.
- Gross-Bullock scored his sixth 20-point game of the season and ninth of his career.
- Walker has now hit 15 double digits this year and 37 times in his career.
- Walker averaged 17.6 ppg and 9.2 rpg in America East.
- Latimer’s 10 rebounds are a season high.
The Bulldogs are off until next Thursday, Jan. 19 when they welcome NJIT to the Chace Athletic Center. Tip is set to 7:02 p.m