LOWELL, Mass. – Isac Jonsson scored the deciding goal for the River Hawks as the University of New Hampshire men’s hockey team lost 6-2 to No. 19 UMass Lowell Friday night at the Tsongas Center in Hockey East.
The Wildcats fall to 7-17-1 (2-12-1 Hockey East) while the River Hawks improve to 13-9-1 (7-5-1 Hockey East).
- The Wildcats return Saturday, Jan. 21 to wrap up the home-and-home series with the UMass Lowell at 7 p.m. on ESPN+ for Community Night presented by Kennebunk Savings Bank at the Whittemore Center and Stick It To Stigma and Family includes Hockey Day. A jersey auction will be held during the game featuring special Stick It To Stigma jerseys to raise mental health awareness.
- Go to UNHWildcats.com/Tickets or call the ticket office at (603) 862-4000 to see the most exciting family entertainment in New Hampshire.
score: #19 UMass Lowell 6, New Hampshire 2
records: UNH (7-17-1, 2-12-1 Hockey East), UML (13-9-1, 7-5-1 Hockey East)
location: Lowell, MA (Tsongas Center)
date: Friday, January 20, 2023
time: 7:15 p.m
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Wildcats took a 1-0 lead as a freshman forward at 2:46 of the first period Jake Dunlap (Windham, NH) sent in a shot from the glove side of the faceoff circle for his second goal of the season. Second defender Alex Gagne (Bedford, NH) provided an assist.
- A minute later, the River Hawks tied the game 1-1 after a backhander from Brian Chambers’ slot for the power play goal.
- At 3:31 of the second period, Owen Fowler gave the River Hawks a 2-1 lead when he found the back of the net.
- The Wildcats then tied 2-2 at 2:00 p.m. of the second period when River Hawk goalie Gustavs Davis Grigals attempted to clear the puck from behind his goal, but it was deflected by the junior forward Cam Gendron (Hampstead, NH) to the back of the net. The goal was his first this season.
- Just 44 seconds into the third period’s opener, Jonsson broke the 2-2 equalizer with a shot from the blue line through traffic and into the back net for a power-play goal.
- When the score was 2:03, Zach Kaiser then scored a breakaway for a 4:2 lead.
- The Wildcats went with an empty net with 2:29 left, but Fowler scored his second goal of the game to make it 5-2.
- With 1:04 left, Kaiser then scored his second goal to make it 6:2.
WITHIN THE NUMBERS:
- Elder goalkeeper David Fessen (Parker, Colorado) made 29 saves while Grigals made 23 for the River Hawks.
- UML Committee UNH, 35-25.
- The Wildcats went 0-3 on the power play, the River Hawks 2-5.
STAY IN CONTACT:
- There are numerous ways to stay connected with the UNH men’s ice hockey team. Follow the Wildcats on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.